Preparing for an Interview
Impressions count! This always rings true at interview. The interview timeframe is the opportunity for you to “impress” your future employer and set yourself apart from the competition for the job. Below are some key tips Resourcing4Marketing have pulled together to help you create that positive impression at interview.
Re-Confirmation of Interview:
- Location / Address
- Interviewer(s) name(s)
- Contact details of the company
Timeframes and Personal Presentation:
- Always aim to be at an interview half an hour before and allow for transport delays - this will give you time to prepare and avoid a fluster.
- Ensure your clothes are presentable, no overpowering aftershave/perfume.
- Firm handshake and a relaxed smile.
Research the Company:
- How many employees
- When was it formed and who formed it
- Company mission statement and unique selling proposition
- Which countries does it have offices in
- Expansion rate of the company
- Annual turnover
- Current share prices and progression of the company over time
- Recent press statements (check the news the day of the interview to be completely up to date with information).
- Linkedin Profiles of interviewer/s – review their backgrounds/industries
Prepare for Questions:
- Know your CV, be able to talk in further depth about your achievements and offer examples that showcase your strengths.
- Try and be positive with all your answers, for example if asked ‘what do you think your greatest weakness is?’ reply with a positive comment, such as: ‘I like to make sure my work is perfect so I tend to spend too much time checking it, however, I have come to a good balance by setting up a system to ensure everything is done correctly first time’.
- Make sure you fully understand the specification of the role and have prepared to show your skills that fulfil these criteria.
- Prepare some questions that you would like to ask the interviewer.
Finally relax, enjoy and be yourself! The best interviews are ones where you truly show “you as you” and not pretend to be something you are not! Good Luck!!